Paper or Plastic?
If you can carry the items that you are purchasing at a store, consider if you really need the store to provide you with a bag. Durable cloth, reusable bags are also readily available in lieu of plastic. Keep reusable bags in your car for convenience.
Some non-profits may appreciate recycling clean plastic bags for their programs:
Most grocery and department stores provide collection containers for plastic bags.
Reusing Paper Bags
- Reuse them on your next shopping trip
- Wrap packages
- Make book covers
- Collect newspapers for recycling
- Use for storing items by taping closed, write contents on outside
Recycling Paper Bags
- Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful Recycle Centers
- Offer to food pantries, humane societies
- Recycle newspapers, chipboard and loose paper in paper bags, separated from corrugated cardboard.